Stop Sonoma County
By Patricia Dines
Stop Sonoma County Fluoridation:
Hi all -
I think we can -- and must -- stop the plan for community water fluoridation in Sonoma County. The science just does not support fluoridation, and it will risk health and environmental harm to all of us.
What's key is for many more of us here to stand up and object -- ideally in the next three or four months, before this starts getting more fixed and much harder to reverse. There are lots of ways you can help. Now is the time to act if we want to see a change. We together can make a difference on this!
Below are some key resources that can help you learn, educate others, and otherwise take constructive action on this locally.
You can also see and download an older handout PDF version of this page, with much of the information here, at www.healthyworld.org/GRAPHICS/SCFluoridtnActionsHandoutPD032613.pdf
I'll continue also continue adding and updating information here, as needed.
I hope that you find this useful. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggested additions, or if you want to connect further in taking action.
Some key ways you can learn more and take action
>> Consider sharing these with others, both online and in print.
1) I've created a handy webpage summary of what I see as the key problems with CWF at www.healthyworld.org/SCFluoridation-About.html. This includes citations, as well as links to taking action. Read this to learn more, identify key points you might make, and get supporting citations. It also offers my proposals for fixing the process with the Board of Supervisors, which I feel is currently biased towards CWF.
2) If you want to create an informational flyer, my article in Pacific Health Magazine is written for a medical periodical and works for a mainstream audience, including medical people. You can read the webpage and download the PDF of the article at: "Understanding Concerns About Community Water Fluoridation". Note: I also have a similar presentation of this information in Should We Fluoridate Our Community's Water?, in the Sonoma County Peace Press.
3) If you want to create a two-sided informational flyer that has more details and has more local info, you can use my two Ask EcoGirl columns on this topic, which includes most of the points on my summary webpage above. Just go to each of these links, download the PDF for each column, then copy them double-sided on one page.
* "Should We Fluoridate Our Water?" (Feb. 2013). www.patriciadines.info/EcoGirl6h.html
* "Standing Up to Stop Fluoridation" (April 2013). www.patriciadines.info/EcoGirl6j.html
Note: It's great if you want to print my article PDFs and copy them for personal non-profit use - OR - if you want to link to the webpages from your website or Facebook page. However, please don't copy the actual text onto your page or into a periodical without getting my permission. All my articles are available for possible reprint with permission.
4) You're invited to join and participate in the email/online group I created to help us stop SC fluoridation. (You can have an email, digest, or web-only membership in this group.)
Here you can:
* Read files and see links with key information locally
and beyond (see the left part of the screen);
5) I also post ongoing information on this and other eco-topics on my Ask EcoGirl Facebook page. Come by for a visit! www.facebook.com/AskEcoGirl
6) You can get on my very low-volume action alert list, where I pass along just the top meetings and moments for action. You can choose that option in my main email list signup at www.patriciadines.info/EList.
7) Here are two Sonoma County petitions you can sign .
8) See these local webpages and Facebook groups.
9) Write a letter to state your fact-based objections to fluoridated water. Please don't make more speculative fringe arguments. That just undermines our credibility and makes it hard for people to hear what we're saying. The science and facts really are enough to prove the CWF is harmful not helpful. Here are key email addresses for our Supervisors and more!
10) Write the water providers who would be receiving the fluoridated water, and ask that they state their official objection to the introduction of this material into their water supply.
Look at the list of receiving agencies (called "contractors" of the Sonoma County Water Agency (SCWA)) at www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma_County_Water_Agency. The only Sonoma County water provider not on this list that fluoridates its water now is Healdsburg.
11) Dawna Gallagher is taking local action. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org 707 547 7006
12) HELPFUL HANDOUTS
In addition to my EcoGirl columns, I made this useful information into easy handouts.
* Position Against Water Fluoridation by LULAC
(The League of United Latin American Citizens, the
oldest and largest Latino organization in the U.S.)
* Statement About Water Fluoridation from the EPA
Professionals Union (NTEU Chapter 280)
* Professionals Statement to End Water
* Civil Rights Leaders Call for Halt to Water
* Fluoride is not an essential nutrient
13) There are lots of other ways to help. Be creative and have fun with it!
14) Good general resources on this topic:
Fluoride Action Network www.fluoridealert.org
"My father was a dentist. I formerly was a strong believer in the benefits of water fluoridation for preventing cavities. But many things that we began to do 50 or more years ago we now no longer do, because we have learned further information that changes our practices and policies. So it is with fluoridation."
Andrew Young, former U.N. Ambassador, former Atlanta
Mayor Inductee International Civil Rights Walk of Fame
"Fluoridation presents unacceptable risks to public health, and the government cannot prove its claims of safety [The] EPA has attempted to silence scientists who do not follow the party line. Fluoridation is banned in most of Europe; European Union human rights legislation makes it illegal . Fluoridation is a scientific fraud, probably the greatest fraud of the century."
- Dr. Robert Carton, Former US EPA senior scientist, including as a Risk Assessment Scientist with the Office of Toxic Substances; Twice president of the EPA Professional Union
"It is time for the U.S., and the few remaining fluoridating countries, to recognize that fluoridation is outdated, has serious risks that far outweigh any minor benefits, violates sound medical ethics and denies freedom of choice. Fluoridation must be ended now."
&endash; Professionals Statement to End Water Fluoridation, signed by over 4,000 medical, dental, scientific, and environmental professionals. www.fluoridealert.org/researchers/professionals-statement
LONGER VERSION OF THE ABOVE QUOTE
"We call upon all medical and dental professionals, members of water departments, local officials, public health organizations, environmental groups and the media to examine for themselves the new documentation that fluoridated water is ineffective and poses serious health risks. It is no longer acceptable to simply rely on endorsements from agencies that continue to ignore the large body of scientific evidence on this matter . The untold millions of dollars that are now spent on equipment, chemicals, monitoring, and promotion of fluoridation could be much better invested in nutrition education and targeted dental care for children from low income families. The vast majority of enlightened nations have done this . It is time for the U.S., and the few remaining fluoridating countries, to recognize that fluoridation is outdated, has serious risks that far outweigh any minor benefits, violates sound medical ethics and denies freedom of choice. Fluoridation must be ended now."
- Professionals Statement to End Water Fluoridation, signed by over 4,000 medical, dental, scientific, and environmental professionals. www.fluoridealert.org/researchers/professionals-statement
If it is, please let me know. It makes me happy to hear!
If you find a broken link or outdated information, or want to suggest an addition or edit to this page, please let me know by emailing info[at]healthyworld.org. Please include both the webpage name and the relevant information.
Thank you to everyone who supports my ability to offer this information
to our community, for our planet!
This entire website is (c) Community
Action Publications, 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
Page last updated 4/3/14